I am not a neat crafter or sewer, I often mess up, and rarely follow the instructions. But I DO it, and I love it, and in the end, it (usually) ends up looking pretty good. I'll usually tell you what I messed up on a project, so that you can try something different.
I'd love to hear about your projects, or your ideas, so please leave comments, or email me.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

ReUseable Bags

There are LOADS of reusable bags out there, almost every store you go to, has their own bags, usually only costing $1 or so.
Deal sites even have good deals on them. Groupon had one this week, that sold out REALLY fast.

But you can also make your own reusable bags, and its super easy!

All those fabrics I got on super clearance after Christmas

Here is how I made the bags
(and totally forgot to take pictures along the way, but hopefully its easy to follow) ~

  • I laid out each fabric, and figured out if I could get 2 or 4 bags out of it. (I only got about 1 yard of each)
  • Cut the fabric. I just cut it in 1/2, then in 1/2 again, if it was too big. Cut it lengthwise, you don't really want squares.
  • Figure out what part you want for the top/opening, and seam it. I didn't do this, and it was a PAIN to seam them after I sewed them together.
  • Sew the edges together (always remember to have the 'right' sides together, so your seams are on the inside). Some of mine I only had to sew 2 sides, some I sewed 3, depending on how I folded the fabric.
  • It should pretty much look like a bag now. If you want to get fancy, you can try to thread a string or 2 through the hem, but for me that does NOT work. I found that simply sewing part of a string on the side, works great (and thanks to my MIL Mary for the heads up on that!). I used a simple red satin string, and it looks good with all the fabrics I had.
  • To tie, you gather the fabric at the top, and either wrap the sting around a few times then tie, or just wrap it once & tie.
I used a straight stitch, went back & forth a couple times ... slowly!

Here's what they look like when tied & full!

Come back Monday, for a chance to win a bag of your choice! I'll be opening an Etsy store, and giving away a bag in celebration! Also, by Monday, I hope to have a little prettier banner on my blog.

5 comments:

  1. would love it if you could share this on my link party

    Natasha xxx

    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! I'm honored to be asked!

      Delete
  2. Just over from serenity you's blog hop! Love the nags and good idea to grab xmas bargains while you can, and be in time for christmas 2012.

    lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I LOVE shopping after xmas, such good deals!
      And you're right - if you can get things the year before, you'll be ready for the upcoming Christmas!

      Delete
  3. great craft!

    thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday!
    Can't wait to see what you link up later today!

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete